Tutorial: Burn Stream Network into DEM
3. Select and export a specific river
In the previous section we've downloaded all river line vectors in the study area from OpenStreetMap. In this section we're going to select the Rur river and export it to a new layer.
1. Click right on waterway_river and choose Open Attribute Table.
Inspect the data in the attribute table. You'll see that the name of the river is in the name
field. We're going to select rivers with the name Rur and Roer. Rur is
the German name and Roer is the Dutch name, so we need both to get the
2. In the attribute table click the Select features using an expression icon .
3. Type the following expression:
"name" = 'Rur' or "name" = 'Roer'
This will select all features with the name Rur or the name Roer.
4. Click Select Features and Close the dialogue.
Now you'll see these rivers selected in the map canvas (yellow) and in the attribute table (blue).
5. Click right on waterway_river in the Layers panel and choose Export | Save Selected Features As...
6. In the Save Vector Layer As... dialogue save the layer as in the ESRI Shapefile Format with Layer name Rur_river.shp. Change the projection to the one of the project (EPSG: 32632) and click OK.