Course 2: TRANSFER AND TREATMENT OF HUMAN EXCRETA AND GREYWATER
Unit 1: Treatment aspects for urine, faeces and greywater
Expected Study Load : 8 hours.
In this Unit, we will discuss the different treatment technologies. The Unit is divided into 4 parts: (A) basics and overview, (B) general treatment aspects for urine, (C) general treatment aspects for faeces and (D) general treatment aspects for greywater (part D is in a separate file to keep the size limited).
- know the four different types of pathogens that can be present in excreta
- understand the necessity for sanitisation of excreta and will be able to list possible general sanitisation methods
- understand the purposes of storing urine
- be able to describe mechanisms that lead to pathogen kill in faeces
- understand the distinction between primary and secondary treatment of excreta
- know drivers and objectives for greywater management
- be aware of deciding factors to determine the level of treatment required for greywater
- be aware of many different available greywater treatment methods (low-tech and high-tech)
- Read this unit plan in its entirety before clicking on any links
- Download and read the lecture presentations for this unit
- Download and read all assigned reading material
- Participate in the forum entitled "Course 2"
- Complete the quiz entitled "QUIZZ_Course2Unit1"
Recommended reading sources on Internet